Trademarks constitute an important and valuable component of the assets of many businesses and companies. Bereskin & Parr’s Trademarks practice group offers unparalleled experience in all aspects of trademark acquisition, registration and enforcement, which ensure that our clients’ trademarks are managed and protected effectively and efficiently.
We are experienced in advising our clients on creating and managing worldwide trademark portfolios, trademark disputes, managing domain name registrations and dispute resolution, and coordinating our clients’ Canadian needs with an international strategy – a competitive advantage when working on behalf of clients whose markets span the globe. Our clients range from local businesses and Canadian companies with international trademark portfolios, to major multinational companies in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, computers, cosmetics, retailers, hotels and alcoholic beverages.
As one of the largest and most experienced groups in Canada, the team’s track record of creative, practical and cost-effective advice is reflected in our national and international reputation.
The following is a list of services that members of our Trademarks practice group provide:
- Strategic advice on managing national and international trademark portfolios
- Trademark infringement and counterfeiting litigation and settlement
- Searching, clearing, filing and registering trademarks and domain names
- Opposition and cancellation proceedings
- Negotiating and litigating trademark, trade name, trade dress, unfair competition and comparative advertising disputes
- Providing transaction advice and due diligence in the evaluation and management of intellectual property in acquisitions, mergers, financings and bankruptcies
- Negotiating and drafting licenses and franchise agreements
- Advising on and conducting domain name disputes before the courts, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), and other administrative tribunals
- Advising on other trademark, confidentiality and unfair competition issues that arise in cyberspace and e-commerce such as linking, framing, metatagging and cyberstuffing
- Advising on rights of personality and privacy
- Our clients receive a free trademark watching service for potentially conflicting, recently published marks in Canada
May 7, 2019
Are you ready? Countdown to Implementation of Canada’s Amended Trademarks Act
April 18, 2019
Ten Things Brand Owners Should Know Before Using the Madrid Protocol to Obtain Rights in Canada
March 13, 2019
GSK Thwarts the Attempted “scooping” of its HORLICKS Trademark
March 4, 2019
The Intersection Between Trademarks and Labelling Laws: An Illustration in the Cannabis Industry...
February 21, 2019
Countdown to Canada’s New Trademark Laws: Make Sure You Take Advantage of Cost Savings While You...
February 11, 2019
Small Claims Court grants Trademark Relief — Seems Kosher