Stephen Beney is Managing Partner with Bereskin & Parr LLP and Chair of the Executive Committee. He is a co-Head of the Mississauga office and leads the Medical Devices practice group.
Stephen works with clients to assess IP needs, and has helped to secure patents for a diverse array of clients, including start-ups, small- to medium-sized enterprises, major multinational companies and university researchers. Stephen has been proven valuable to his clients in securing their patent rights in diverse technologies, including: automotive; medical devices and imaging systems; electronic devices; communication systems; video and signal processing systems; mass spectrometry; solar power devices and systems; fuel cell technology; internet systems; business methods; and cleantech devices and systems. He advises on IP management and strategic planning and has prepared many patentability opinions, as well as infringement and validity opinions. He also has experience in preparing and prosecuting industrial design applications.
Due to his extensive experience, Stephen was selected by the Canadian Intellectual Property Office as one of a handful of professionals across Canada to participate in the government’s Modernizing the IP Community Initiative.
Outside of work, Stephen enjoys spending time with his family and loves listening to music. “If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.” ― Albert Einstein
- B.Sc. (Physics), University of Toronto, 1982
- Registered United States Patent Agent, 1998
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent, 1998
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent, 1997
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Past-President, Fellow
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)