Privacy, Cybersecurity & Data Protection
Our privacy practice group provides advice to help you navigate increasingly complicated issues arising from the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. Data is often among a company’s most valuable assets and our team can help by giving practical advice tailored to your business. Our team has experience in related areas of law, including copyright and digital media, consumer protection and regulatory compliance matters. We can also advise on intellectual property and other measures to help protect data and databases.
We can help at every stage of the privacy process. We can help with ‘privacy by design’, and privacy impact assessments. We help companies understand how to develop new products and services while keeping privacy considerations at the forefront. We also assess the privacy implications of existing products and services and assist with compliance measures. We draft privacy policies and ‘just-in-time’ notices, and can advise on other measures to enhance the user experience to protect the company and provide better transparency to the consumer. We also draft internal company policies, from employee facing policies to incident response plans. In addition to proactive preparation, we can help clients react to and manage cybersecurity incidents by advising on legal requirements associated with notification to regulators, affected consumers and third party organizations.
We have trusted associates in jurisdictions throughout the world with whom we collaborate on privacy matters, with a view to global compliance.
- Advise clients on compliance with Canadian provincial and federal privacy legislation
- Develop notices, policies and guidelines applicable to privacy issues, from privacy policies to incident response plans
- Assist clients response to investigations and complaints filed with regulatory bodies
- Help clients prepare for and manage data breaches
- Draft cyber incident response plans and advise management teams on best practices and legal duties