Technological innovation and disruption in the financial services industry calls for a studied approach to patents and other intellectual property. As in other areas, patent rights serve to protect inventive ideas and concepts, and are also valuable for generating interest and investment in new and growing businesses.
There are unique legal challenges in obtaining patents for fintech inventions. These necessitate expert advice to ensure the development of a valuable and worthwhile patent portfolio.
Bereskin & Parr’s Fintech practice group offers a unique blend of deep technological knowledge and unparalleled expertise in navigating the legal challenges facing Fintech inventions. Our team has extensive experience in helping clients build, protect and enforce their fintech intellectual property. All members of our team are trained as engineers or in the physical sciences. Many members of the team have practical experience not only with technology companies, but also with financial services companies.
The following is a list of services that members of our Fintech practice group provide:
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications worldwide
- Registering copyright and industrial designs
- Preparing and negotiating license agreements
- Conducting due diligence investigations
- Providing patentability, validity, and infringement searches and opinions
- Providing strategic advice on intellectual property rights
- Enforcing intellectual property rights