Bereskin & Parr has one of the most experienced chemical patent practice groups in Canada. Working as a team, we have individuals with advanced technical backgrounds in organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer chemistry and biochemistry.
These individuals have also gained specific experience in their practices working in the following fields:
- Biofuel production and processing,
- Food chemistry and processing,
- Flue gas treatment and CO2 capture,
- Green technologies,
- Industrial and other chemical processes,
- Membrane separation,
- Oil and gas,
- Pharmaceuticals and
- Water treatment.
In addition to our technical expertise, we also have many years of experience in assessing technologies and drafting and prosecuting patent applications worldwide, for both local and international clients. Our team members include both lawyers with advanced scientific degrees as well as scientists with doctoral degrees that have industrial, scientific and legal experience. Our combined backgrounds allow us to provide clients with a full range of capabilities to meet their Intellectual Property needs for protecting their chemical inventions. In addition, team members have been trained and have numerous years of experience, in performing prior art searches, including structure-based, keyword, classification-based, patent and freedom to operate searches.
We understand that both science and law are continually and rapidly changing. Our team members therefore stay on top of developments in these areas through membership and involvement with key scientific and legal organizations, including the Canadian Society for Chemistry, the American Chemical Society, the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle, Licensing Executives Society and the Association of University Technology Managers. Our clients include universities, hospitals, research facilities, Canadian and multinational chemical and pharmaceutical companies and independent chemical researchers.
The following is a list of services that members of our Chemical practice group provide:
- Performing prior art searches, including structure-based searches,
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications worldwide,
- Providing patentability, validity, and infringement opinions,
- Conducting due diligence investigations,
- Preparing and negotiating licensing agreements,
- Providing strategic advice on intellectual property portfolios,
- Conducting intellectual property audits and
- Enforcing intellectual property rights