Matthew Graff is a lawyer, patent agent, trademark agent, and partner with Bereskin & Parr LLP. He is also Leader of the firm’s Industrial Design practice group and Co-Leader of the Cleantech practice group.
Matthew’s practice focuses on patent drafting, prosecution and opinion work, primarily for mechanical innovations. He has 20 years of experience drafting and prosecuting originating applications, in a variety of technical areas, and strategically developing and managing portfolios. His clients are in diverse industries and include individual inventors, small and medium-size Canadian companies, public institutions, and international corporations. He works extensively with foreign associates to acquire protection for his clients in jurisdictions around the world, and obtain Canadian patents for foreign clients. Beyond patents, Matthew has a particular interest in industrial designs and counsels clients on registering design rights in Canada and abroad.
Matthew has a technical background in Materials Engineering. Before studying law, he worked as a research engineer in the field of fuel cells.
- LL.B., Queen’s University, 2004
- B.A.Sc, University of Toronto, 2000
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent, 2009
- Registered United States Patent Agent, 2009
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent, 2006
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2005
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Fellow
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)