James Raakman is a partner and lawyer with Bereskin & Parr LLP and leader of the Automotive practice group. James is a professional engineer, registered patent agent and trademark agent in Canada, and a registered patent agent in the United States.
For over 20 years James has been helping innovative companies develop and leverage commercially relevant IP portfolios. This includes preparing and prosecuting Canadian and US patent applications and industrial design applications, and harnessing strong relationships with foreign counsel to secure corresponding IP rights abroad. Once granted, James assists in identifying opportunities to wield these rights for strategic advantage, including issuing demand letters, quarterbacking negotiation settlements, and supporting litigation counsel if court action is necessary.
Clearing a path for the launch of new technology is another area in which James routinely assists clients, including proposing design changes when appropriate, and challenging pending and granted competitor IP rights by initiating protests, oppositions, and, in cooperation with US counsel, engaging in trials at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board through Inter Partes Review proceedings.
James also has extensive experience in representing clients in the negotiation of a wide variety of agreements with customers, suppliers, competitors and collaborators, including licensing agreements, supply agreements, and NDAs.
James is a member of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, a member of the faculty for a number of patent instruction courses, and is a frequent speaker on various IP topics. Prior to joining Bereskin & Parr, James gained extensive experience as a professional engineer while working in the automotive industry for several years.
Outside of work, James enjoys cycling, camping, travelling, and spending time with family.
- LL.B., Queen’s University, 1997
- B.Eng.&Mgmt. (Mech. Eng.), McMaster University, 1992
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent, 2010
- Registered United States Patent Agent, 2005
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent, 2004
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2002
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
- Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)