Isi Caulder is a partner with Bereskin & Parr LLP and Co-Leader of the Artificial Intelligence and Cleantech practice groups.
Isi leverages 20 years of patent prosecution experience and deep industry knowledge to guide technology companies through the process of strategically developing, managing and monetizing their IP rights in North America and worldwide. Clients and colleagues note her to be “a friendly, professional and patient lawyer” who is “very responsive and has great communication skills”.
She works with clients to build valuable patent assets in a wide variety of electrical and computer based technologies including artificial intelligence software, quantum computing, image processing software, video streaming technology, satellite communication hardware, mobile communications equipment and software, data encryption and compression software, solar and wind power generation, carbon emission reduction technology, medical devices, wearable technology, and electronic consumer products.
Isi is a dedicated supporter of the Toronto technology and legal community with a passion for helping high tech startups and entrepreneurs develop an effective IP strategy and portfolio. Currently, she is an “Entrepreneur Mentor in Residence” at The Entrepreneurship Hatchery at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Toronto (UofT), a Board Member on the UofT’s Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) Industry Board, and serves on the Leadership Team for the ChIPs Toronto Chapter.
Isi is actively engaged with international IP associations that shape the profession. She is Co-Chair of the International Committee on the American Intellectual Property Association’s (AIPLA) Professional Programs Committee, Vice-Chair of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada’s (IPIC) Annual Conference Committee.
Isi is consistently listed as an expert in Canadian intellectual property law and patent law in various national and international surveys, including in the WIPR Leaders Directory, Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada as a “Most Frequently Recommended” lawyer in Canada, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Best Lawyers in Canada.
Outside of work, Isi enjoys playing and listening to jazz piano, taking improv classes and spending time with friends and family.
- J.D., Law, University of Toronto, 1995
- M.A.Sc. Electrical Engineering, University of Toronto, 1991
- B.A.Sc. Engineering Science, University of Toronto, 1989
- Registered United States Patent Agent, 2000
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent, 2000
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Fellow
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
- Toronto Computer Lawyer’s Group (TCLG)
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group (TIPG)
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)