Helping organizations find cost-effective solutions in the industry of life sciences.
Bereskin & Parr’s Life Sciences practice group is comprised of professionals with diverse technical backgrounds and industry expertise, ensuring members stay at the forefront of trends in the ever-changing industry, and in the law that relates to it.
Advances in life sciences create new and exciting business opportunities. The protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights is critical to making the most of those opportunities.
Our professionals hold graduate and doctoral degrees in biochemistry, biomedical sciences, organic and inorganic chemistry, cell and developmental biology, experimental medicine, immunology, medicinal chemistry, molecular and human genetics, and neurosciences. This expert knowledge allows us to advise on and protect technology in all areas of life sciences including biotechnology, molecular biology, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, food science, materials, bioinformatics, plants genetics and plant breeders’ rights.
Members of the group are registered patent agents registered to act before both the Canadian and US Patent Offices. We are distinguished from other firms in Canada by our incredible bench strength and experience in drafting original patent applications and managing worldwide prosecution and strategy. Our group applies a team approach to assist clients efficiently and effectively, utilizing the depth of background and expertise we have in the life sciences field.
Strong scientific backgrounds, along with the active participation in life sciences organizations and committees, allows the group to maintain an open and active dialogue with members of the scientific community. As developing and maintaining these relationships are of great value to the firm, our clients within universities, hospitals, research institutes, and Canadian and multinational biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies continuously keep us well-informed of their evolving businesses and legal needs.
The ability to find cost-effective solutions to our client’s needs, and the desire to ensure their matters are successfully accomplished, make us one of the strongest life sciences IP practices in Canada.
Members of our Life Sciences practice group can provide services that include:
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications worldwide.
- Preparing and negotiating licensing agreements.
- Conducting due diligence investigations.
- Providing patentability, validity, and infringement opinions.
- Providing strategic advice on intellectual property portfolios.
- Conducting intellectual property audits.
- Enforcing intellectual property rights.
Our Life Sciences practice group has been recognized in several prominent national and international publications, including:
- Chambers Global
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Practice Group Leader
Our team has expertise in several specialized groups:
- Advertising, Marketing & Regulatory ›
- Cannabis ›
- Chemical ›
- Cleantech ›
- Copyright & Digital Media ›
- Industrial Designs ›
- IP Management & Strategic Counselling ›
- Licensing & Transactions ›
- Litigation & Contentious IP ›
- Mechanical & Industrial Processes ›
- Medical Technology ›
- Nanotechnology ›
- Patents ›
- Plant Breeders’ Rights ›
- Privacy & Data Protection ›
- Psychedelics ›
- Trademarks ›