Trademark Assistant - Open
Bereskin & Parr is one of Canada's largest and most respected intellectual property (“IP”) law firms. We have over 260 employees, including more than 70 lawyers, patent and trademark agents, with four offices located in major economic or technology centres. We are an award-winning firm with a global reputation as one of the largest, and most experienced in patent and trademark law. We provide exceptional client service and are driven by our commitment to professional excellence. At B&P we are proud of our collaborative and inclusive work environment.
We are currently looking for a motivated Trademark Assistant to join the B&P team in our Toronto office. This position will be supporting a Partner whose practice focuses on trademark prosecution and oppositions.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Attend to online filing and prosecution of trademark applications with minimal supervision as required.
- Draft and preparing correspondence for professional approval/signature using precedents.
- Monitor due dates, sending reminders as required and bringing due dates to the attention of the professional.
- Handle the opening and closing of client files.
- Order trademark searches and file histories.
- Monitor and respond to emails received and sort and prioritize new mail.
- Review client instructions over the phone or by email and taking appropriate action with the direction of the professional.
- Schedule appointments and coordinating arrangements for meetings.
- Review pre-bills and supervise the issuance and delivery of bills.
- Update database with changes in client contact and address information.
- Maintain and update precedent system, including index, with minimal supervision.
- Transcribe correspondence from handwritten notes.
- Proofread documents checking for spelling, grammar and typos.
- Fax, photocopy and scan documents and correspondence.
- Other duties as assigned by professionals.
What you’ll bring to B&P:
- Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate or Law Clerk Degree.
- Minimum three years’ relevant working experience in the trademark area is required.
- Computer literate with strong working knowledge of legal software and standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to deal with clients, and all levels of staff.
- Motivated and resourceful, with the ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to email their resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Trademark Assistant" in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bereskin & Parr LLP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities. Should candidates wish to receive the above job posting in an alternative format or require accommodations during our recruiting process, please contact Liam Bragg, Human Resources Generalist by email (email@example.com) or by phone 416-957-1622.