Trademark Practice Group Assistant - Toronto
Bereskin & Parr is one of Canada's largest and most respected intellectual property law firms. With more than 260 people, including more than 65 lawyers, patent and trademark agents, Bereskin & Parr and its award-winning professionals are consistently rated in Canada as the benchmark for intellectual property law.
There is an immediate opportunity for a TRADEMARK PRACTICE GROUP ASSISTANT to work out of our Toronto location. This position is part of the Practice Groups Support Department, which provides assistance with overflow work assigned by professionals, assistants, and clerks. Specifically, this position supports the Trademark Practice Group Support Coordinator.
- Drafting and preparing routine and detailed client correspondence for review by the professional, using precedents;
- Transcribing correspondence from dictation and handwritten notes;
- Opening and closing client files, including conflict searching;
- Preparing trademark applications, amendments to applications, drafting statements of opposition, and related correspondence, and filing the same electronically;
- Preparing and filing assignment documents, filing change of name documents, checking for trademark ownership and associated marks;
- Ordering trademark searches with and without direction from the professional;
- Preparing papers and presentations from professional’s notes/dictation;
- Proofreading and revising documents to correct spelling/typographical errors, grammatical errors and formatting issues;
- Updating the database with changes in client contact and address information;
- Faxing, photocopying, and scanning documents and correspondence;
- Floating to cover legal assistant vacations and/or extended absences; and
- Other administrative duties as assigned by professionals, assistants and/or clerks.
- Legal Assistant Diploma/ Certificate or equivalent experience is required.
- One to two years of experience working in the trademark area is required.
- Knowledge of legal terminology, procedures and statutes.
- Knowledge of trademark procedures and rules required.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to deal with clients, and all levels of staff.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Computer literate with strong working knowledge of legal software and standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to email their resumes to:
. Please include "Trademark Practice Group Assistant" in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bereskin & Parr is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities.