Patent Assistant – Mississauga (1 Year Contract)
Bereskin & Parr LLP is one of Canada's largest and most respected intellectual property ("IP") law firms. There is an immediate opportunity available as a PATENT ASSISTANT to work out of our Mississauga office. This position will be assisting two associates whose practices focus on patent drafting, filing, prosecution and opinion work, primarily for mechanical innovations.
- Drafting and preparing basic correspondence for professional approval/signature using precedents.
- Monitoring due dates, sending reminders as required and bringing due dates to the attention of the professional.
- Faxing, photocopying and scanning documents and correspondence.
- Screening telephone calls, monitoring and responding to emails and sorting and prioritizing new mail.
- Scheduling appointments and coordinating arrangements for meetings.
- Handling the opening and closing of client files.
- Reviewing pre-bills and supervising the issuance and delivery of bills.
- Attending to the filing and prosecution of patent applications as required.
- Overseeing updating of database with changes in client contact and address information.
- Other administrative duties as assigned by the associates.
- Legal Assistant Diploma/ Certificate or equivalent experience is required.
- Knowledge of legal terminology, procedures and statutes.
- One to two years of experience working in the patent area.
- Computer literate with strong working knowledge of legal software and standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to deal with clients, and all levels of staff.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to email their resumes to:
. Please include "Patent Assistant" in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bereskin & Parr is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities. Should candidates wish to receive the above job posting in an alternative format, please contact Kaitlin Sandor-Kerr, HR Generalist by email () or by phone 416-364-7311 extension 1162.